Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Teaching Workshop

Hello Dear Readers~

Today I started teaching a sewing and jewelry design workshop for a preteen summer camp. I'm no stranger to teaching, I do teach swim lessons and I teach several art classes but this was the first time I've had to entertain the same group for TWO (2) straight hours!!! Talk about a workout!

I had to split the kids up into two groups, one would be sewing while the other would be making jewelry. It was rather tricky to instruct on two different artisan crafts when it was just me trying to teach them!

It seemed to go okay, several of the kids had prior knowledge of the sewing machines and some basic fundamentals so I at least didn't have to hover like I sometimes find myself doing.

This was the first time I taught a jewelry design workshop so it was quite an experience trying to explain it in terms that a group of kids would understand. I had the added difficulty that 4 of the kids were from Nepal and didn't speak English, though they understood it. I seriously needed a thesaurus! I kept having to back track to simplify instructions even further! It was hard but surprisingly, I wasn't too frustrated or frazzled by the end of it.

The kids were really nice and very well behaved, they even helped me clean up when we were done! I'm supposed to go back again next week, I'm supposed to do this camp every Tuesday and Thursday for the month of July and I can't wait!
















I know it's supposed to be "sewing and jewelry design" but I think I'll also introduce them to some no-sew projects they can do at home with their families since not everyone can go out and buy a sewing machine.

As for my own art, I promise, I'm creating, I'm working on a "To-Do" list so I can set specific goals and meet them.

Oh, I also got asked to paint faces at a friend's kid's birthday party later this month! I'm kind of excited since it'll be some quick cash and cake! And it'll be the first time I've been hired to do a birthday party! I've done some street festivals for people at work but this'll be my first independent face painting gig!


No comments:

Post a Comment